Saturday, January 21, 2012

gatha

 Sit and be.


 The mind can go in a thousand directions,
But on this beautiful path, I walk in peace.
With each step, a cool wind blows.
With each step, a flower blooms.
 Breathing in, I calm my body.
Breathing out, I smile.
Dwelling in the present moment,
I know this is a wonderful moment!
___________________________________________________
I have arrived (in-breath)
I am home (out-breath)
In the here (in)
And in the now (out) (repeat all four lines)
 
I am solid (in)
I am free (out) (repeat two lines)
 
In the ultimate I dwell (in)
In the Pure Land I dwell (out) (repeat two lines)

In (in breath, four steps)
Out (out breath, four steps)
Deep (in, four steps)
Slow (out, four steps)
Calm (in, four steps)
Ease (out, four steps)
Smile (in, four steps)
Release (out, four steps)
Present moment (in, four steps)
Wonderful moment (out, four steps)


Sitting Meditation 
Sitting meditation is like returning home to give full attention to and care for our self. Like the peaceful image of the Buddha on the altar, we too can radiate peace and stability. The purpose of sitting meditation is to enjoy. Don't try to attain anything! (See The Miracle of Mindfulness, Thich Nhat Hanh, 1975.) 
 
Sit in a way that feels comfortable. If possible, inhale through your nostrils, and notice your abdomen expand. Then, as you exhale, notice your abdomen return to normal size. One way to help maintain awareness of breathing is to recite a gatha. When you breathe in, say silently, "In." As you breathe out, say silently, "Out." 
 
After doing this for a while, you might like to try a guided meditation. (See The Blooming of the Lotus, Thich Nhat Hanh, 1993.) Sitting meditation periods can be ten, twenty, or thirty minutes -- or however long you like. Sitting is for your pleasure, so relax. If your posture is causing you too much pain, feel free to adjust your position, moving slowly and attentively, following your breathing and every movement of your body so you will not lose your concentration. You can even stand up slowly and mindfully if necessary, and when you feel ready, sit down again. At the end of the period, allow a few minutes to massage your legs and feet before standing up again.

Breathing in, I know I am breathing in.
 

Breathing out, I know I am breathing out.

Breathing in, I see myself as a flower.
 

Breathing out, I feel fresh.

Breathing in, I see myself as a mountain
 

Breathing out, I feel solid.

Breathing in, I feel myself as still water.
 

Breathing out, I reflect things as they are.

Breathing in, I see myself as space.
 

Breathing out, I feel free.

Breathing in, I know that I am breathing in.
 

Breathing out, I know that I am breathing out.

As my in-breath grows deep,
 

My out breath grows slow.

Breathing in makes me calm.
 

Breathing out brings me ease.

With the in-breath, I smile,
 

With the out-breath I release.

Dwelling in the present moment,
 

I know this is a wonderful moment.

Feelings come and go, like clouds in a windy sky
 

Conscious breathing is my anchor. 

Walking Meditation Gatha

Let the Buddha breathe
 

let the Buddha walk
 

i don’t need to breathe
 

i don’t need to walk

Buddha is walking
 

Buddha is breathing
 

i am breathing
 

i am walking

Buddha is the walking
 

Buddha is the breathing
 

i am the walking
 

i am the breathing

there is only the breathing
 

there is only the walking
 

there is no breathe
 

there is no walk

peace while breathing
 

peace while walking
 

peace is the breathing itself
 

happiness is the walking itself

No comments: