Sunday, January 22, 2012

Who am I

This is a question often asked by Buddhists. Does it have an answer other than the obvious? Who am I. What makes me me. Am I me because I think, therefor I am? Am I me because millions of atoms came together to give me form? Who am I.

Since death alone is certain and the time of death uncertain, what should I do? What should I do? Should I endeavor to be happy? Or make others happy? Should I do what I want, when I want and not worry about the consequences? Or should I, like a doctor, first do no harm.

What am I here for? Does my existence have a purpose? Can I die without regrets? If not, why not? How much of what I do is a compromise with others? Why do I compromise? Do I keep postponing what I really want to do until conditions are more favorable? Yes, yes I do.

So many questions and so few answers.

No comments: