Tuesday, September 6, 2011

health? or hell?

Funny how similar they sound isn't it? I'm working on changing not only my diet, but how I eat. Seems like a pretty simple concept on the surface. In practice, not so easy. I've got to change how I cook, what I cook, how much of it I cook, what I buy, how I shop, how often I shop and do a lot of planning.

It's not that I don't know how to cook and it's certainly not that I don't enjoy cooking, I do. It's the new ideas, new recipes, new purchases. Stopping the old habits of easy, quick meals. You know, pasta, pizza, meat. All those things you can just chuck in the oven and forget about.

I've been working on reprogramming my brain on all kinds of other things, now I have to work on the food aspect. One key problem is, I really don't like green things all that much. I was raised on beans, meat, potatoes, pasta. However, I've found a way around that. Sauces! Good sauces. Chinese sauces, Japanese sauces, southern sauces, Mexican and Cuban sauces. I'll tell you what, you put broccoli in the right sauce and I'll eat the hell out of it.

So, now it's time to shop, and cook, and experiment. And most importantly, change the way I think about food. Ah hell.

No comments: