Friday, December 30, 2011

questions without answers


soul


1.
the principle of life, feeling, thought, and action in humans, regarded as a distinct entity separate from the body, and commonly held to be separable in existence from the body; the spiritual part of humans as distinct from the physical part.
2.
the spiritual part of humans regarded in its moral aspect, or as believed to survive death and be subject to happiness or misery in a life to come: arguing the immortality of the soul.
3.
the disembodied spirit of a deceased person: He feared the soul of the deceased would haunt him.
4.
the emotional part of human nature; the seat of the feelings or sentiments.
5.
a human being; person.
How interesting to me that a definition of soul is person. The spiritual part of a human. The spiritual part. What is that for me? I remember now that spirituality without theology is quite possible. In fact I think many religions do everything they can to destroy the spirituality of a person and replace it with conformity. 
But then I have a very jaded opinion of religion. Reading history does that to some of us. Knowing the atrocities carried out in the name of 'God" and some church. Disturbing at best.  
  
 But I keep asking myself what it is I believe in. Do I believe in anything? If I don't, why not? If I do, what is it that I believe in? It brings me back to my core beliefs. What are they and why are they what they are. It's a very hard question for me to answer. At least honestly. And what is the point in not telling yourself the truth? If the point is to figure out what you believe, telling yourself a lie is just silly isn't it? Isn't it? What is it that you are so afraid of? 
 

No comments: