Saturday, September 7, 2013

It's been 8 days now

My body has been many things over the last 39 years. It's been a trap, a prison, a bastion of pain and misery. But never has it been fascinating. Until now.

When beginning this journey I was made to answer questions, talk to various people, take classes. None of it fully prepares you for the reality of post surgery life. I was not expecting such drastic physiological changes. Nor was I expecting it to have such an affect on my psychological health.

The change in flavors and odors is odd enough. Getting use to how much I can eat, how fast I get full, and then hungry again is proving difficult. But the hardest thing for me is my head. To look at all the things I loved to eat and know that I can't. Just trying to sit though dinner with my family is enough to trigger my depression and cause me to leave the house.

It's much harder than I thought it would be. I miss not so much the food its self, but the flavors. To bite into a burger and taste the juice mixed with the toppings and bun. I know this gets better as time goes on. But right now, it sucks. I have no regrets with the surgery. The benefits to my health and longevity, not to mention the ability to actually do things far outweighs any temporary discomfort or aggravation. And remembering that is what's going to get me through this.

No comments: