Saturday, June 28, 2008

This heat sucks!

I apparently forgot what it was like to take a full load of classes in a short term. I haven't had this much homework since highschool. And I don't think I even had this much then. I always had a thing for doing my "homework" at school. Can't quite get away with that these days.

Any way. This heat sucks! My body can not adjust this fast to sudden 90 degree heat. I hate it. I wish I had the money for a boat. Or at least enough money to afford gas to go to the lake, or the river, or the beach.. I'm trying to find the motivation to do something productive and all I want to do is sit here in front of the fan.

I do have a somewhat useful reason for this particular blog. I keep getting asked what programs I use on my computer for various things, how to find them and what I use them for. So, with that in mind;

I have a several year old HP pavilion zx5000. I love this old brick. It still out performs a lot of the new computers and with the 160gig hard drive I installed after the OEM hard drive fried, I have more than enough storage space. I do with I had a bit more RAM, but I will maybe expand that one of these days. I use FireFox as a web browser. I have tried Opera, hated it. I tried the PC version of the Mac browser, it wouldn't even work on my computer. IE, as everyone know, sucks ass. No matter how hard they try to emulate FireFox, they just can't quite seem to get it right.

With all of the photography I do, I keep pondering buying PhotoShop. Then I look at the price and am reminded why I don't have it yet. I've used it extensively at school and frankly, for the price, it's over rated. If you want a simple program that does all of the basic photo editing you need to do, check out PhotoScape. It's free, easy to use, can convert and edit RAW, has viewing and organizing options, batch editing, renaming and a lot more. I use it a lot.

Have you ever had an issue when uninstalling some program from your computer? Keep finding left over junk that should have gone away? Try Revo Uninstaller.
It's free, it works great and it's easy to use. It has a number of options, including junk file cleaner, history wiper, start up options for windows and a lot more. I can't believe how much crap I've found hiding on my hard drive and clogging up my registry. Computer runs so much faster now.

Do you transfer and upload a lot of large files? Want your very own little ftp program? Try Core FTP Light. I use this now quite frequently. I never understood the point of ftp and file transfer programs until I started using one. Amazing how much faster it is.

Oh, and one more I just recently found out about (ok, so maybe I'm a bit behind, I don't know). Notepad++
Notepad++ is a very usefull text editor, especially for writing code. It tries and from my experience, succeeds, to notify you if you fucked up your code. It is much easier to read and write code in than the standard Windows notepad.

Well, that's enough of that, I really need to focus on my homework and get some pictures edited for my photogaphy class.

No comments: