Friday, September 30, 2011

Some cliches are true

Cliché number one; it's not a diet, it's a way of life. I know, sounds so lame. But it's absolutely, positively true. I've tried more diets than i can count, not a single one of them worked. It's a change in the way I think about food. It is working. I listen to my body. When I'm hungry, I eat. When I'm satisfied, I stop.

I'm finding that my cravings are going away. I have always craved carbs. Pizza, pasta, bread, anything I could get at a drive through. I just don't really want any of it any more. Every once in a while it sounds good, but certainly not all the time, every day. And when I do eat it, it doesn't taste nearly as good as it did before.

More protein, less carbs. More fruits and vegetables, less carbs. I'm trying to avoid overly processed foods and buy things whole. Reading labels before I buy things, knowing what I'm getting and what to avoid. It really all goes back to changing the way you think about food. And it's getting easier. The weight loss is very slow, but it's loss. It took me a long time to gain it, I'm certainly not going to lose it over night.

Now I need to start an exercise program and get off my ass.

1 comment:

Amanda Kiska said...

I don't avoid carbs altogether, but I do notice that simple carbs (like candy) cause cravings for more carbs. I think it probably makes sense. The carb causes your blood sugar to spike, you feel great, and then it plummets and you feel like shit. So you eat more carbs because you "crave" them. It is always better to eat them with protein and fiber to avoid dramatic blood sugar changes.