Friday, May 4, 2012

fishing?

Now there's something I've not done in a VERY long time. And I am finally starting to feel like doing things. I even bought a new pole and real, some tackle. Things I haven't had in years.

It's slow and gradual, but it is a noticeable change. The medications I was taking, they helped, until they didn't. It's a razors edge and if you don't pay attention to what your body is telling you, well, it's going to hurt eventually.

Doctors are great at pushing meds. Insurance companies are even better. That pill won't work? Here, take this one instead. Unless you're like me and one pill is just as bad as the other. It's funny, all the ways I've abused my body over the years, prescription drugs are what caused the most issues.

But anyway, more on this fishing thing. I've always fished for two things, trout and salmon. Big pole, big line, big lures. With the exception of fly fishing. I've never fished for anything else. Never really occurred to me to try. So I bought myself a nice little bait casting real, something I've never used, attempted to use or thought to use. This should be interesting.

I bought an "ultralight" 5'6" pole. I want to have fun. Enjoy the challenge, not just yank fish out of the water. Now, not knowing what the hell I'm doing, apparently I bought a rod for "spinning" and a real for "casting", like I knew there was a difference. Does it matter that much? I'll find out next week. Or possibly this weekend if it decides to stop raining.

I've been reading and watching videos, trying to learn how to use these funny little plastic worms and other oddities you would never ever try to catch a salmon on. It's like a whole new world of fishing. And I know jack about it. And I like that.

1 comment:

Hörður said...

Like your policy about light tackle. Hope you catch one. Tight lines, Hörður