Monday, November 7, 2011

bad information

One thing I've learned time and again is that everyone has an opinion and each and every one of them think they are right. Religion, politics and eating all have that in common.

I started using a new website to track my eating and calorie intake and all that on a daily basis. It's a useful tool so far. But I can not believe some of the crap I have read on there so far. http://www.myfitnesspal.com

It's amazing how much dangerous, wrong and silly information people post on here. And some seem to have forgotten a very simple premise of weight loss. To lose weight your caloric intake must be less than what you need to maintain your current weight. Pretty darn simple concept I thought. Apparently I was wrong.

19 year old college students handing out advice like doctors. Shit, when you're old enough to drink legally you can give this fat man advice on losing weight. I've been working on it for over years. All those school books on your desk. I've read them. All those new ideas you have in your head, they aren't new. You want to know what doesn't work to lose weight? As a person who has been fat their entire life.

One thing I don't think I've ever done on this blog is state my opinion as fact. If I ever do, call me on it. I'll either rewrite it or back it up with valid information from reputable sources, more than one.

It's no wonder so many people fail when trying to get healthy. Everyplace you turn some jackass is trying to tell you how to do it or sell you how to do it. Try this, try that. A friend of my sisters boyfriends uncles mom told me........ Oh just stop. Who was it years ago who's motto was "stop the insanity"? I still like that slogan. Just stop it already.

There are a few true and tried things a person needs to do to lose weight. It's been this way since we started walking upright. It less, move more. Don't eat crap. Now that I will state as fact. You take out all the bullshit, propaganda and money making scams and that's what you're left with.

And I won't, OK, yes I will get into the rest of the crap I've been reading. Sometimes I wonder just where these people come from.

Losing weight while building lean muscle mass. Eat less move more.

Building lean muscle mass while trying to maintain weight. Eat more move more.

Now, this brings up one problem that I have experienced personally as have others in my family. It's very difficult, if not impossibly to do both at the same time. At least not if you have a large amount of weight to lose. Cardio is fabutastic for burning fat and muscle tone but does not do a lot for building mass, that's not its purpose. Lifting heavy weight repeatedly builds muscle mass but almost nothing for weight loss. See the problem.

So anyway. Educate yourselves. Don't take opinion as fact. Remember, if you're able to read this, you obviously have access to the web, you can find anything on the web. There is no excuse for ignorance.

A few things I've found to be true for me:
  • If you are constantly hungry and doing it wrong
  • If your exercise puts you in traction for a week, you're doing it wrong
  • Who ever said no pain no gain was an idiot and obvious a masochist
  • It's not just a diet, it's a life style
  • exercise can be fun

2 comments:

Sue said...

AHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I LOVE THIS!!! AWESOME! Ok Ill stop yelling now! That made my day! I love me a good rant! Especially when I do them :) But anyways, I found you on MFP and I am following you now MUAHHHAHHAHA! :) I love MFP I just know to stay away from the message boards most the time! I don't read much of that stuff cause it makes me mad. I try to do my part at spreading the little facts I do know and correct those that are wrong. I don't claim to know it all though, not even half:) Maybe we can help each other and motivate each other. I sent you my blog address on MFP but it is not just for tracking my progress, I include my family stuff to so you would have to sift through if you dont wanna read all the rest!

Anonymous said...

I love reading your posts and you are so right on about what you said. Have you ever thought of writing a book? Most of those "atkins" "beach" etc. diets aren't healthy (in my opinion). So many people are quick to give advice. You are rockin'. Don't give up. You are worth it.