Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Memories drifting in the sea of time

Forgotten, to float randomly in the depths of my mind. Like little files lost in a computer. They take up space but you don't really know they're around till you stumble upon one, or, on rare occasions, one pops up and smacks you upside the head. I've found lately that they are popping up more and more.

I know that I've talked about my aches and  pains many times. And occasionally about some of my injuries over the years. But I've never really commented, contemplated or accepted just how lucky I really am to be alive. The things I've seen, the things I've done and the abuse that my body has sustained over the years. I don't think the majority of people would still be around.

I was thinking about this last night and today as I was hurting a bit from my time in the pool, the cold, damp weather and just because I always hurt. I started remembering things I pushed aside years ago. Blows to the head, bruises, sprains, things that probably where actually broken but never made it to a doctor. Near drownings, car wrecks, general stupidity of youth. Motorcycle accidents, horses, cows and other critters. Falls. I'm like a god damn Timex, I just keep chugging along.

With everything I've put my body through I've kept going. I've ignored the pain. I've ignored the blood. It never bothered me. What is it that screwed me? My own mind. Now that I've beet my mind into submission my body wants out. The me that I remember from many years ago is waking up and it's asking just what the hell happened.

No comments: